Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Fast Eddie


With so many teams this off season looking for a third baseman Edwin Encarnacion could turn out to be the poor man's Miguel Cabrera. It is obvious now that Alex Rodriguez is staying with the Yankees, so if the Reds were to trade him, I'd put Eddie behind Miggy as third basemen on the market. Eric Chavez is also being talked about, but with his history of injury and bulky contract, I think Eddie is more valuable. Teams seem to be mortgaging their futures for Cabrera. The Dodgers may offer Matt Kemp, Andy LaRoche, and Clayton Kershaw, while the Angels could ante up Ervin Santana, Howie Kendrick, Chris Bootcheck, and Nick Adenhart.Let me now say that Miggy does have considerably more talent and value than Eddie, but I would honestly take Clayton Kershaw straight up for Encarnacion. Kershaw is a big (6'4'' 215 lbs), young (19)lefthander who has done nothing but mow down the competition. If I were the Dodgers I'm not sure I'd even make that trade, but if they are willing to offer LaRoche and Kemp along with Kershaw for Cabrera, I think the Reds should look into it. And as far as the Angels go I would take Nick Adenhart for Eddie. Adenhart posted a 3.65 era in double A last season, he struck out 116 to 65 walks and most importantly he only allowed 7 home runs in 153 innings. At 21 Adenhart would fit nicely behind Aaron Harang, Bronson Arroyo, and Homer Bailey and could possibly develop into a solid third starter, and a third starter sounds really good for Edwin.

No comments: