Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Reds Base(ball)



Okay, okay. I know several people have accused me of trading the entire roster on this blog. Let me start by saying that as much as I love the Reds they have sucked for seven years so trading everyone couldn't be that bad. Yet it is true, there are a few base players the organization should keep. Adam Dunn is one guy who has value unlike any player on the roster. Not only has he put up numbers unmatched by any Red in history, but when Ken Griffey Jr. leaves at the end of this season (or before) Dunn gives the marketing department a star to sell. Say what you will, but behind Griffey, you see more number 44 jerseys in Great American than any other. Fans complain about Dunn because they feel he should play Gold Glove defense and they suggest replacing him with Norris Hopper or Ryan Freel. I don't have time to list all the reasons why that would be a horrible idea, but I'll list a few. Dunn has more talent in one finger than Freel and Hopper have combined. Hopper is a career minor leaguer and has been shipped from the majors back to the minors, while the Reds couldn't call Dunn up fast enough and have never sent him back down. For people who gripe about Dunn's strike outs; if Freel could ever stay healthy enough to play a full season he would strike out at least as many times, and he is a leadoff hitter. Lastly, Dunn is younger than both Freel and Hopper.
After Dunn, but in no order, I'd put Josh Hamilton and Jay Bruce. I put them together because they both are young outfielders who, in a matter of years, could very possibly be the two best in the National League. Hamilton and Bruce could be expected to post .300 batting averages, 30+ home runs, 90+ rbi, and Gold Glove caliber defense. I dream of a year that sees Hamilton and Bruce one and two in the MVP voting.
Brandon Phillips is the only infielder in the organization that I would peg as a keeper. At 26 Phillips (while being protected by Dunn mind you) posted Barry Larkin-type numbers while playing Barry Larkin-type defense.
Pitching is a different bear. The Reds will always be in need of pitching, but it doesn't mean they should hold on to seventh inning relievers or 4th or 5th starters. I wouldn't trade Aaron Harang because I could get a better pitcher in return. An All-star bat doesn't equal Harang. I would keep Homer Bailey close unless I could get a proven number one for him. Since those chances are slim Bailey is a keeper. Johnny Cueto is a keeper because nobody knows what he'll become so nobody would be willing to give equal value. There is really on one in the bullpen I wouldn't trade if the right offer came up, but I'd need a proven starter or dependable reliever for a few. Jared Burton is the most important member of the pen going into 2008. If Burton becomes the closer he has the ability to, he'll solidify once shaky ground. Bill Bray is a guy I put just under Burton. I would try to groom Bray as the set-up man for 2008. Jon Coutlangus, Marcus McBeth, and Gary Majewski are guys who could go either way. All three could become important cogs in the relief corp or they could all three be gone this time next year. So there you go, a list of guys I would like to see around for a while. Making out this list makes me more encouraged for the team's future. You will notice though, I didn't use the word "untradable", there is nobody in baseball that is untradable if the offer is right.




No comments: