Friday, January 4, 2008

New Year, New Reds?


Well, even though I took a few days off for the holidays not much has changed on the Reds front. Aaron Harang is still the best player on the team, Homer Bailey is still on the team, Erik Bedard still isn't, and Josh Hamilton is still traded. Chances are very good that all of those things will still be true on Opening Day. However, there is a good chance changes could come. The Cardinals signed Matt Clement, the Astros are rumored to be interested in Freddy Garcia, the Brewers are after Luis Gonzalez and Kenny Lofton, the Cubs signed a Japanese star, and the Pirates are all over the rumor mill. That being said I don't see Wayne Krivsky sitting idle while the competition gets better. No, Cordero isn't enough, I haven't heard anyone say 'the Reds are a closer away'. There was one deal made that might effect the Redlegs. Columbus native Nick Swisher was traded from the Oakland A's to the Chicago White Sox. This tells me that A's GM Billy Beane will at least listen to offers for anyone. I think the Reds have fallen out of the Erik Bedard race which may not be a bad thing. I still wouldn't trade Joey Votto, Homer Bailey, and Johnny Cueto for Bedard. Krivsky sould be on the phone with Beane to see if they could put together a Bailey (or Cueto) and Votto for Joe Blanton deal. I have written about Blanton's credentials and I feel he would be more likely to sign long term in Cincy than Bedard. As time ticks by it does make me wonder if any trade will happen. The acquisition of Edinson Volquez and the hesitation to trade Bailey and Cueto make me think the team is building for the future, which is a little hard to believe considering Krivsky's contract is up after this season.

1 comment:

Tom said...

The idea of Krivsky dealing with Billy Beane scares me.

When it comes to baseball, Billy Beane is always the smartest man in the room. This can't bode well.