Thursday, December 27, 2007

Fair Trade?


As you may have been able to tell, Josh Hamilton was traded during the time I was writing the last entry. I have let it sink in a little and after listening to many angry Reds fans I have still yet to form a strong opinion on the deal. It seems most fans in Cincinnati are up in arms and I can understand where they are coming from. Josh Hamilton could become one of the best all-around players in the game, if he ever plays a full season he should be an obvious All-Star and possible MVP candidate. And, although we hear about Cincy having a logjam in the outfield, I'm not sure I agree. Adam Dunn and Ken Griffey Jr. are in the last year of their contracts (I know Grif has an option) and I'm pretty sure Dunn will stay but that still only gives us he and Jay Bruce for 2009. Also, this Edinson Volquez is anything but a sure thing. Volquez was the diamond in the Rangers system two years ago, but after an injury and several road blocks Volquez became an expendable player for a pitcher-starved franchise. However, Wayne Krivsky has a number of reasons to be optimistic about this trade. Josh Hamilton was riddled with injury in 2007, and it wasn't like it was one thing that kept nagging him, one week it was one thing, the next week it was something else. Another point for the GM is that when Hamilton has a great bat, he is left-handed like Adam Dunn, Griffey, Joey Votto, Jay Bruce, and Scott Hatteberg. Finally the strongest argument anyone in favor of this deal would have would be summed up in the position these guys play. While I don't personally buy the "too many outfielders" argument, one can't deny the Reds have too little pitching. If the Reds don't land Erik Bedard (which I don't think they will at this point) they can go into Spring Training with Aaron Harang and Bronson Arroyo set in their rotation and Homer Bailey, Johnny Cueto, Matt Belisle, Matt Maloney, and Edinson Volquez competing for the final three spots. And trust me, that would be much, much better than those they had competing last season.

No comments: