Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Closing In On Jared Burton


An e-mail sent to me from Tom:
Yo,

I'm working on an article for the sight comparing the pitch f/x data that charts the movement on pitches and allows you to compare pitchers and their pitches. The system was installed in a portion of MLB parks last year, and its used on the GameCast on MLB.com to help show what type of pitch was thrown.

Well, I've been analyzing Jared Burton especially, and it turns out he throws an almost exact Mariano Rivera cutter. They both get hit harder by righties than lefties as well, which accounts for the cutter moving in on lefties and away from righties. Whether he knows he's throwing this pitch or not, I'm not sure. I haven't heard it mentioned on anything I've seen about the Reds or by Marty or anyone.

But this certainly bodes very well for the future of Burton, if he can throw this pitch consistently and he actually knows what he's doing.


This information is obviously exciting for several reasons. Francisco Cordero is going to be the Reds closer (barring injury) for the next three years. Cordero has a very good track record, but the batters in the NL Central have seen him. I'm not suggesting I think he will be a flash in the pan, but closers not named Rivera or Hoffman come with a limited shelf-life. Jared Burton should be poised to take over the job if Cordero's arm falls off in spring training. I have been saying that Burton should keep his position as set up man in 2008 so he remains used to pressure situations and because of Stormy's ability to pitch with runners on will better serve the team in early innings. This information Tom offers gives us hope that these plans for Burton can take place. Hopefully he doesn't go to the same shrink as Todd Coffey.

2 comments:

Steve R said...

I wish I could have read the Burton blog... It cuts off...

Zeem said...

You can read the post by clicking to post a comment. I found the article enlightening. Keep up the great work!