Monday, December 3, 2007

Talkin' 'Bout Willis


Two reports (SI.com and ESPN.com) have the Reds interested in Marlin's ace Dontrelle Willis. It seems the Marlins might be interested in several Reds for several different reasons. 1. Josh Hamilton- The Fish have been without a legit center fielder since Juan Pierre and Hamilton fits everything the Marlins look for; young, cheap, and unsightly talented. 2. Edwin Encarnacion- Florida will most likely say goodbye to their only offensive force in third baseman Miguel Cabrera. Eddie also fits the mold. 3. Homer Bailey- This piece would make the deal happen. Homer has the potential to be an ace and would be a perfect trading piece for the Marlins in four years. 4. Johnny Cueto- See Homer Bailey.

5. Joey Votto- Like Hamilton and Encarnacion, Votto would give the Fish a bat, something they are desperately missing. As much as I'd like to see Willis in Cincinnati on Opening Day, I'm not sure I'd give up the farm to make it happen. Its true that Dontrelle is a couple years removed from 22 wins, but he has quickly regressed since. Willis was 3rd in the NL last season with 15 losses and 87 walks, while giving up a career high 29 home runs. For those very reasons he comes at a price the Reds can pay and any time a 25 year old lefty with Cy Young stuff can be attained I have a hard time turning my back..........so I'm not sure where I stand. I know personally I would not give up Bailey or Cueto. Although one young pitcher would have to go, I would do what I could to make the deal and keep Homer and Johnny. I would give two out of Hamilton, Votto, and Encarnacion, but it would be doubtful that the Marlins would bite even if a single A prospect were involved. Tomorrow I'll touch on the reports of Tim Lincecum to the Reds.


2 comments:

Tom said...

This ain't happening. Tigers have more intestinal fortitude than the Reds. Good for them.

Howard Owens said...

please don't link to an image on my server ... copy to your own and link there.