Friday, December 14, 2007

The Mitchell Retort


I spent the good part of yesterday afternoon and evening skimming the Mitchell Report and I must say, I want my time back. There were no big names on that list that I hadn't heard whispers about for years. Hal Morris was a little surprising, but I assume he is on the report because of his days with the Yankees. Speaking of the Yanks, it's a little odd how George Mitchell, who holds an official position with the Red Sox, was able to come up with so many Yankees and so little from other teams. The report read more like a 400 page D.A.R.E. handbook than a quasi-legal document. We know drugs are bad. There are some really good things for a Reds fan to take away from the report. Mike Stanton is the only active Red on the list. Mike Stanton? Quite possibly the worst guy on the team? Dude, when did you get off the juice? At least we can say 'well our team sucks because nobody is on steroids'. I have never once thought of Adam Dunn as a user, but with so many home runs in his young career I'm sure there have been suspicions. The fact that Dunn wasn't names, but has faced pitchers who were, just makes his accomplishments that much better. Honestly the whole thing is pretty pointless. The most that will come out of it will be a few suspensions here and there, but it's still one man's word against anothers. I heard yesterday that one player who's name is on the list for a returned check written to Radomski (the Mets clubhouse guy), was able to prove that check was written for the clubhouse attendants to buy pizza. Checks are another thing. What kind of guy buys drugs with a check? I'm not going to say it didn't happen, but a good many of those names came from check copies and I don't think very many people are that careless. I don't know; this is all I'll write about the Mitchell Report, but it is the biggest news in baseball right now, so I though I'd mention it.

No comments: